When you combine two of the most wonderful tasting things on the Earth, good things are bound to come from it. If someone were to make me choose between peanut butter and caramel and my life were depending on it, I just don’t think I could do it. Why not have both??
I mixed up this sauce and it is is ideal for anything really – apple slices, by the spoon, whatever your heart desires.
Peanut Butter Caramel Sauce
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup peanut butter
1. Place the sugar in a medium saucepan over medium heat. It actually is important that the saucepan is medium sized (not small) because some minor exploding will happen later.
2. Place the heavy cream in a small saucepan over medium heat. (A small pan is adequate for this one.) When the cream begins to simmer, reduce the heat to low.
3. Stir the sugar. When it is completely melted it will turn a deep amber color. Remove from heat when this happens.
4. Stir the cream into the melted sugar. This is when the mini explosion happens. Keep stirring. Return the pan to medium-low heat and keep stirring until the caramel has dissolved. I had a few clumps form after the explosion, but just keep stirring. It took about 15 minutes of stirring.
5. I used an unsalted, natural peanut butter which is why the recipe calls for salt. Add in the salt after the caramel has a smooth consistency.
6. Lastly, add the peanut butter to the caramel over medium-low heat and stir until smooth.
7. Enjoy (wait until it is not scorching to taste test.) Store peanut butter caramel sauce in the refrigerator.