I’ve never had so much adrenaline writing a blogpost as I do now. Ready or not, the One Room Challenge is here. When Linda extended the invite to me this season, I first fell out of my chair and was on cloud nine before reality set in. I needed a space to make over!!!
I texted my mom who has been gracious enough to allow me to make over my little sister’s room as well as their guest room. I say our home is my blank canvas but my parents’ home is my second blank canvas since we all need one of those. *I’ve made over most every room in our own home including our master and guest room in past One Room Challenge series, so our home was out.
Lucky for me, my mom has been wanting to refresh their formal living room. This space is the second living room in the house and is rarely used except on Christmas morning. There is a separate family room that has the tv, so that’s where the family hangs out most of the time. While this formal living room is rarely used, it is the first thing you see when entering the front door and it’s a grand room at that. Check it out.
I didn’t want to skimp on the before shots, so hopefully that covered all views. I also opted for before shots on my camera to show the ridiculous amount of light.
Some things to note:
- When I asked my mom what she visioned, she said “bright and modern“. Music to my ears.
- I say bright and modern, but the rest of the house has traditional bones, and we don’t want the space to stick out like a sore thumb. The space will keep the overall traditional vibe but will get a fresh update. Less tan, red and green and more white, black and texture.
- We aren’t lacking on natural light here. This space is truly a dream, decorator or not. Having this much natural light means there are basically no rules.
- You can see from the photos that this room is very open to the rest of the house. This room is right off of the front door. It also shares a half wall with the dining room, and you can see the kitchen and family room from the formal living room. Basically this room is important. Everyone sees it no matter where you are in the house.
- My mom said “refresh” but turns out nothing is staying except the flooring and mantel. It’s going to be a dramatic change….
- This challenge is going to be interesting for me. I’ve never created a grand, traditional space, but I’m excited for my first.
There are so many ideas swirling in my head but we have a direction for sure. We want the space to feel grand yet fresh. It will be warm and inviting, but the lines will be modern. We are sticking to neutrals with TONS of texture. (This will be my first neutral room EVER, wish me luck.) The design has been presented and there were few to no changes requested (yay), so we are in the process of making purchases (no furniture/accessories in the current room are staying). Some major elements that will change are: custom window treatments from Tonic Living (you can’t NOT go custom with those monsters), retiling the fireplace (mantel will stay as is) and adding some architectural details to the space. I’ll have all of those details including the design plan next week!
Be sure to check in with the other participants to see the start of their makeovers!
Claire Brody | The Curated House | Design Manifest | Driven by Decor | Honey We’re Home | Hunted Interior | The Makerista | Making it Lovely | My Sweet Savannah | Pencil and Paper Co. | The Pink Clutch | Savvy Home | Simplified Bee | Sketch 42 | Jill Sorensen | Orlando Soria | Thou Swell | The Vault Files | Waiting on Martha | The Zhush | Media Partner House Beautiful | TM by CIH